We get it, it’s difficult to get your kids eating right; but you can still help make up for their nutritional shortfalls by trying to give them children’s multivitamin. Having said that, this post discusses the benefits of children’s multivitamins and why you should consider adding them to your kids’ daily routines.
Sometime in 2019, a group of medical researchers specializing in pediatrics found that children in the United States had a noticeable shortfall of Vitamins D and E. Some even found that nearly 40% of all calories consumed by children between the ages of 2—18 years were empty calories or solid fats from some kind of junk food. These eating habits are linked to chronic illnesses like high-blood pressure, diabetes, Osteoporosis, and many dental conditions
Benefits of Children’s Multivitamins and Why Are They Needed
Generally, each vitamin has a specific function.
For example, Vitamin A is concerned with sight while vitamin D makes our teeth and bones stronger by assisting in calcium deposition. Vitamin C has uses dealing with immunity. Other vitamins have functions like this and each vitamin is required for its specific purpose.
The important thing to be careful of is that deficiency or over-nutrition of any vitamin can result in disorders and diseases. Research over the years has consistently pointed out the same facts that we feel need to be brought to attention:
- About 1 out of 3 kids in the United States is obese.
- 13.3% of women in the United States between the ages of 15—49 is anemic.
- The United States has an increasing number of children exhibiting stunted growth.
These statistics are alarming to say the least; when we combine this with the fact that very few people in the country follow the national dietary guidelines, the situation really does look troubling. However, the benefits of children’s multivitamins and the advantage they give parents to make sure that their kids thrive and grow up to become healthy individuals make these multivitamins a definite way to help meet the kids’ dietary requirements.
This way, we can make sure that our kids get all of the nutrients they need and have balanced diets loaded with all the nutrients they need on a day-to-day basis.
What Exactly Is A Balanced Diet?
Our body needs a few essential biomolecules to carry out normal body functions. These basic biomolecules are;
The first three biomolecules are required in large quantities. A small and specific quantity of minerals and vitamins is also necessary.
The goal of a balanced diet is not to achieve as much nutrition as possible but to obtain adequate amounts of each nutrient.
Why and Which Children Need Multivitamin Supplements?
Normally, children with healthy and balanced diets don’t require multivitamin supplements because they are able to meet the necessary amounts through their daily diet.
However, children with special cases might require supplements. The purpose of these supplements would be to compensate for the loss or inadequate nutrition. Some examples include:
- Children with diseases that alter their normal functioning of the digestive system.
- Children with vegan or vegetarian diets are often deficient in certain vitamins.
- Children who’ve had surgeries.
- Children who were born with birth defects.
- Infants require a slightly different plan of nutrition especially those who are breastfed
Multivitamins that Children Need
Here are a few crucial vitamins that children need:
1) Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is necessary for children because:
- It promotes a healthy vision.
- It can help to boost the immune system.
- Vitamin A supports healthy and normal growth and development.
- It aids in tissue repair and bone repair.
- It has also shown results in healthy and glowing skin.
Vitamin A can be obtained from milk, cheese, eggs, fruits especially those which are orange-ish in color, leafy green vegetables, cod liver oil, and milk.
Vitamin B has many derivates that are also necessary for normal growth and development:
- It plays a key role in providing the body with the energy it needs.
- It is also necessary for healthy brain development.
- Vitamin B also contributes to the formation of red blood cells and the prevention of anemia.
- It also aids in healthy metabolism and the circulatory system.
Vitamin B can be found in milk, eggs, cheese, meat, and beans.
Vitamin C is also important for children. Here’s why:
- It boosts the immune system, making it stronger over time.
- Vitamin C promotes healthy and strong muscle and connective tissue formation.
Citrus fruits are a great source of Vitamin C.
Vitamin D is essential for children because:
- It promotes calcium absorption in bones.
- It is necessary for healthy and strong bone and teeth formation.
- Children having a deficiency of Vitamin D can develop a bone formation disorder called Rickets.
- Infants born with a deficiency of Vitamin D can develop minor jaundice and are recommended to soak sunlight every day.
- According to studies, infants that are breastfed also need Vitamin D supplements.
Vitamin D can be obtained from direct sunlight. It is also found in meat, eggs, liver, oily and fatty fish.
Iron is necessary for facilitating the transportation of oxygen in the blood. Thereby, it contributes to sustaining most of the major systems of the body. For example, the circulatory system, respiratory system, digestive system, and even nervous system as every cell needs nourishment by oxygen.
Iron deficiency can also lead to anemia, which can be a challenging disease to overcome for children.
Besides this primary role, iron contributes to healthy muscle formation and movement-related activities.
Spinach, red meat, beef, dried fruit, cereals, beans, and liver are good sources of Iron.
Nutrition requirements that are not met by regular diet can be overcome by planning a careful diet plan according to age, sex, and physic of the child.
If diet cannot fulfill the function for any reason then you can try out children’s multivitamins. There is a variety of supplement options available in the market. Most of these supplements are flavored or are in the form of gummy bears.
At Tayba Nutritionals we have a wide range of Halal vitamin supplements. Our Vitamin D-3 Gummies can help you enjoy all the benefits of this essential vitamin for your overall wellbeing. The supplement doesn’t include any unnecessary ingredients and is available in strawberry, peach and mango flavored gummies.